What to expect and what not to expect with this Ketchikan shore excursion
With a convenient pick-up location within walking distance of the cruise ships, a quick transfer brings you over to the plane base where your pilot and float plane are awaiting your arrival. A short video orientation equips you with the info you need, then head down to the docks to load up and get settled in - everyone gets a window seat! As the pilot cranks up the ignition and begins drifting out for take-off, the excitement of a water take-off definitely starts to kick in.
- 2 hours duration (1 hour 15 minute flight time)
- Bird's eye view of glacially carved cliffs and designated wilderness
- Fully narrated through noise-canceling headsets
- Remote water landing inside of Misty Fjords
Within minutes, you're soaring over Ketchikan and the surrounding area and getting a grasp of the terrain and orientation of this landscape. Settle into the sights with narration provided via headset, as information regarding the history, geology and ecology of the area complements the scenery below. Before too long, the characteristic cliffs marking the entrance to Misty Fjords come into view, and the pilot will navigate over alpine lakes, deep fjords, past cascading waterfalls and next to unique 3,000 foot cliffs carved out by thousands of years of glacial movement.
But it's not enough to solely observe this area from the plane. As the pilot navigates through the area, you'll actually set down right in the fjords! You'll even have the opportunity to get out of the plane and get a first-hand experience of this remote wilderness, which John Muir once described as "hopelessly, over-abundantly beautiful for description." Reboard the plane for the return journey, arriving back at the base where you'll receive an Alaskan bush plane certificate - a perfect token to remember this amazing area and experience.
Interested in more aerial Adventures? Why not take a look at the Icefield Helicopter Excursion in Juneau & the Grizzly Falls Ziplining Expedition in Skagway!
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
KETCHIKAN TOUR DETAILS:
- Restrictions: This is a family-friendly tour and all ages are welcome. Lap children 2 and under fly for free.
- Accessibility: This tour is rated 'Easy' in regards to activity level. There are a few steps to get in and out of the plane so a certain level of mobility is required. Please contact us in advance if you require assistance and we will do our best to accommodate!
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: We recommend hoping for sunshine but preparing for rain for all of our tours. Drizzles are common in this area so we recommend bringing a waterproof jacket. We typically recommend long pants and closed toed shoes for comfort. And don't forget your camera! The air temperature will be a bit cooler than on the ground, so we recommend bringing a jacket along.