What to expect and what not to expect with this Ketchikan shore excursion
Jump behind the wheel of an off-road vehicle to explore Alaskan backcountry from a rugged Jeep Wrangler. With the unique ability to cover lots of ground in a short amount of time, venture off onto abandoned logging roads winding through the wilderness of Revillagigedo Island. You'll be paired with other traveling companions into groups of 4 and set off through the lush Tongass National Forest while taking turns driving. Guides lead the way and communicate through the vehicles' radio, while stops along the way provide scenic overlooks, photo opportunities and a chance to switch drivers. Cruise through old growth forests and arrive to Lake Harriet Hunt where stage 2 of this exciting adventure begins.
- Ketchikan's only Jeep tour
- 4 hours duration
- Wilderness canoe ride
- Family-friendly: Great for all ages
- Includes smoked salmon and clam chowder snack
- Triple activity: Jeep, canoe and nature hike
Say goodbye to the Jeeps and hello to sturdy 37-foot canoes that will allow you to experience the rainforest from a different perspective. Again, trusty guides lead the group and provide an informative narrative along the way. Head ashore to the cook camp where a tasty snack of smoked salmon, clam chowder and assorted rolls with wilderness jams await. Fuel up for a final nature hike that completes this comprehensive journey. You'll return to the cruise docks having experienced Ketchikan from Jeep, canoe and a hiking trail, and at 4 hours duration, you'll still even have time in the day for exploring the town!
Looking for more tours that put you in the driver's seat? Why not take a look at the Glacier Point ATV Exploration in Skagway!
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
KETCHIKAN TOUR DETAILS:
- Minimum Age: There is no minimum age to join this tour as long as participants meet the minimum weight of 40 lbs.
- Accessibility: No previous canoe experience is necessary, and you'll be equipped with all the gear and info you need for this gentle activity. Guests need to be able to climb in/out of a Jeep and canoe with limited assistance. Participants are welcome to join the tour with good health and an adventurous spirit.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: Alaskan weather can be variable, so it's recommended to plan accordingly. Dress warmly and in layers, so that you can take off an extra layer when the sun is out or throw on an extra layer if it's a bit chilly. A full list of what to wear and bring will be sent to you in your confirmation email.
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
- Adult Rate: $159.00
- Child Rate: $119.00 (ages 12 and under) + 6.5% sales tax
You've got questions, we've got answers
Ketchikan Shore Tours
Q:How long is this excursion, and is transportation included?
The total duration of this activity is about 4 hours from start to finish with about 2 hours on the water. The meeting location will be just next to the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau, which is conveniently situated very close to the cruise docks. Of course, you'll receive detailed meeting instructions and planning information in a confirmation email upon booking.
Q:Do I need previous canoe experience? Is it safe?
This tour is a great entry-level canoe tour and perfect for first-timers or those with experience. The canoes are 37-foot vessels that can seat up to 20 guests at at time and are incredibly stable in the water.
Q:What should I wear and how should I prepare for this tour?
No special equipment is necessary for you to bring. Dress warmly and in layers as the temperature can fluctuate throughout the day. Sturdy walking shoes are recommended for the Nature Trail and for your comfort. Life jackets will provided for the canoe portion of the trip.
Q:What if it rains? Do the trips get canceled?
Ketchikan is in the heart of a temperate rainforest, and we would never do anything if we stopped for the rain. Please do not let the possibility of rain deter you from booking. Southeast Alaska is at its most beautiful on misty rainy days.
Q:Is there a weight limit for the canoes?
Over the years we have seen all shapes and sizes! We do not have a set weight limit, but please keep in mind that guests will need to be able to get in and out of the canoe on their own accord as well as be comfortable seated in a canoe for a total of 2 hours (1 hour each way).
Q:What if our ship is delayed or doesn't make it into port? Refund?
It's very rare that a ship is delayed into port, but in those cases, we will try our best to work with you to reschedule the tour to a later time. If that is not a possibility or your ship doesn't make it into port, we will of course refund the full cost of the tour.
You are here: