What to expect and what not to expect with this Ketchikan shore excursion
With a convenient pick-up location within walking distance of the cruise ships, a 25-minute bus transfer takes you through Ketchikan while your driver provides a nice overview of this historic port town. Upon arrival, get geared up for this adventure: full pant/jacket combos are provided for you to keep your clothes clean during this wilderness ride. After a quick safety orientation and operating instructions, fire up the ignition and venture off for an hour and a half ride, following your guide who will lead the way.
- Drive you own off-road adventure kart
- 14-miles of maintained trails through the Tongass National Forest
- Scenic stopping points for overlooks and waterfalls
- All gear provided
The first stopping point brings you to a majestic overlook of Behm Canal and the Inside Passage. With the engines off, take a few minutes to enjoy the tranquility of Alaska's backcountry while the informative guides paint a picture of the history and geological backdrop of this scenic area. But don't get too comfortable - there are many more trails to explore.
These capable side-by-side vehicles are well equipped to handle this off-road terrain, and feel free to take turns driving or riding as a passenger. Though this isn't designed to be a wildlife viewing tour, keep your eyes peeled for eagles overhead, and deer or bears which frequent this area. A 14-mile round trip brings you back to base camp where you can de-gear before the transfer back to the cruise dock area.
Looking for other backcountry tours along the Inside Passage? Stay off the beaten path with the Alaska Zipline Tour in Juneau & the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway!
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
KETCHIKAN TOUR DETAILS:
- Restrictions: Though no previous off-road experience is necessary, all drivers must show a valid driver's license. Karts accommodate two people and are not recommended for anyone with neck or back problems or expectant mothers. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a fare-paying adult or guardian who will be charged the applicable rate for the tour. The minimum age for this activity is 5 years old, and participants must be at least 50" tall and weigh between 40 lbs. and 300 lbs.
- Accessibility: This tour is not recommended for guests with neck or back injuries or for expectant mothers. This is rated as a moderate activity and suitable for most with a desire for adventure.
- Cancellation Policy:
In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we will issue a refund. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure are non-refundable.
- What to Wear: We recommend hoping for sunshine but preparing for rain for all of our tours. Drizzles are common in this area, so we recommend bringing a waterproof jacket. We recommend long pants and closed-toed shoes for comfort. The trail can be muddy, and though oversuits are provided, we still don't recommend wearing your Sunday best. And don't forget your camera!