What to expect and what not to expect with this Ketchikan shore excursion
With a convenient pick-up location within walking distance of the cruise ships, a 25-minute narrated transfer brings you through Ketchikan while your driver provides a nice overview of this historic port town. Upon arrival, get geared up for this adventure: full pant/jacket combos are provided for you to keep your clothes clean during this wilderness ride. After a quick safety orientation and operating instructions, fire up the ignition and venture off for an hour and a half ride, following your guide who will lead the way.
- Drive you own off-road adventure kart
- 14 miles of maintained trails through the Tongass National Forest
- Scenic stopping points for overlooks and waterfalls
- Snack and bottled water provided
The first stopping point brings you to a majestic overlook of Behm Canal and the Inside Passage. With the engines off, take a few minutes to enjoy the tranquility of Alaska's backcountry while the informative guides paint a history and geological backdrop of this scenic area. But don't get too comfortable - there are many more trails to explore.
These capable side-by-side vehicles are well equipped to handle this off-road terrain and feel free to take turns driving or riding as a passenger. Though this isn't designed to be a wildlife viewing tour, still keep your eyes peeled for eagles overhead, and deer or bears which frequent this area. A 14-mile round trip brings you back to base camp where you can de-gear before the transfer back to the cruise dock area.
Looking for other tours in the Inside Passage? Stay off the beaten path with the Taste of Nature Kayak & Gourmet Food Expedition in Juneau & the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway!
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
KETCHIKAN TOUR DETAILS:
- Restrictions: Though no previous off-road experience is necessary, all drivers must show a valid driver's license. The minimum age for this activity is 5 years old, and participants must be at least 50" tall and weigh between 40 lbs. and 300 lbs.
- Accessibility: This tour is not recommended for guests with neck or back injuries or for expectant mothers. This is rated as a moderate activity and suitable for most with a desire for adventure.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: We recommend hoping for sunshine but preparing for rain for all of our tours. Drizzles are common in this area, so we recommend bringing a waterproof jacket. We typically recommend long pants and closed toed shoes for comfort. The trail can be muddy in areas, and though oversuits are provided, we still don't recommend wearing your Sunday best. And don't forget your camera!
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
- Adult Rate: $199.00
- Child Rate: $169.00 (ages 5 - 10) + 6.5% sales tax
You've got questions, we've got answers
Ketchikan Shore Tours
Q:Will we make it back to the ship in time? What if we don't?
We've never left anyone behind and only schedule tours that work well with your cruise ship's itinerary. We leave plenty of cushion so you can confidently book your trips independently.
Q:Do I get to drive the karts?
Yes, the karts are each equipped for 2 passengers, and you will be either a driver or passenger on this excursion with opportunities to trade off along the way. Don't worry if it's your first time in this type of vehicle; no previous experience is required.
Q:What if our ship is delayed or doesn't make it into port? Refund?
It's very rare that a ship is delayed into port, but in those cases, we will try our best to work with you to reschedule the tour to a later time. If that is not a possibility or your ship doesn't make it into port, we will of course refund the full cost of the tour.
Q:What should we wear and bring?
This tour operates rain or shine, and rain is common as we lie in a temperate rainforest! For comfort, we typically recommend long pants, closed-toed shoes and a waterproof jacket. Some guests choose to bring a small bag or backpack along to store extra layers, a bottle of water and cameras.
Q:Is this tour safe?
Absolutely - the tour is not a fast-paced excursion, and you won't be out there to break any new land-speed records. The tempo will always be within your own comfort limits, and the trail is always wide enough for passing vehicles.
Q:Will we get dirty?
In short, yes, a little. :) Full pants and jackets are available to slip on over your existing clothes to keep the clothes you're wearing clean, but the trail can be dusty and/or muddy. With this in mind, footwear is not provided so hiking boots or shoes you don't mind getting a little dusty are recommended.
You are here: