What to expect and what not to expect with this Ketchikan shore excursion
Starting with a convenient pick-up in downtown Ketchikan and within walking distance of the cruise docks, load up for an 11-mile journey north of town towards famed Totem Bight State Historical Park. This renowned area borders a traditional Native campground and contains a series of ancient totem poles, providing a glimpse into the roots of this area. Visit the 'Clan House', a replica community house typical in many Native villages in the early 19th century. You'll explore native artifacts and walk away with a fascinating knowledge of the indigenous tribes of SE Alaska.
- Combines 2 low-impact activities: canoe and nature walk
- 4 hours duration
- Fascinating Native history at Totem Bight Park
- Family-friendly: Great for all ages
- Includes smoked salmon and clam chowder snack
Now, after seeing how the Natives used canoes to navigate the Tongass Narrows, board your own canoe at Lake Harriet Hunt to get a different perspective of the rainforest. Paddle along with your guide in a 37-foot Native-style canoe, learning about the rich ecosystem and seeing the wilderness side of Alaska. Dock the canoe to enjoy a hearth snack of smoked salmon, chowder, rolls and wild berry jams. Guides share stories before closing the experience with a short nature walk through old-growth forest; the perfect ending to this multi-faceted adventure.
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
KETCHIKAN TOUR DETAILS:
- Minimum Age: There is no minimum age to join this tour as long as participants meet the minimum weight of 40 lbs.
- Accessibility: No previous canoe experience is necessary, and you'll be equipped with all the gear and info you need for this gentle activity. Guests need to be able to climb in/out of a canoe with limited assistance and paddle for approximately 1½ hours. Participants are welcome to join the tour with good health and an adventurous spirit.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: Alaskan weather can be variable, so it's recommended to plan accordingly. Dress warmly and in layers, so that you can take off an extra layer when the sun is out or throw on an extra layer if it's a bit chilly. A full list of what to wear and bring will be sent to you in your confirmation email.
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
- Adult Rate: $139.00
- Child Rate: $105.00 (ages 12 and under) + 6.5% sales tax
You've got questions, we've got answers
Ketchikan Shore Tours
Q:How long is this excursion, and is transportation included?
The total duration of this activity is about 4 hours from start to finish with about 1½ hours on the water. The meeting location will be just next to the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau, which is conveniently situated very close to the cruise docks. Of course you'll receive detailed meeting instructions and planning information in a confirmation email upon booking.
Q:Do I need previous canoe experience? Is it safe?
This tour is a great entry-level canoe tour and perfect for first-timers or those with experience. The canoes are 37-foot vessels that can seat up to 20 guests at at time and are incredibly stable in the water.
Q:What should I wear and how should I prepare for this tour?
No special equipment is necessary for you to bring. Dress warmly and in layers as the temperature can fluctuate throughout the day. Sturdy walking shoes are recommended for the Nature Trail and for your comfort. Life jackets will provided for the canoe portion of the trip.
Q:What if it rains? Do the trips get canceled?
Ketchikan is in the heart of a temperate rainforest, and we would never do anything if we stopped for the rain. Please do not let the possibility of rain deter you from booking. Southeast Alaska is at its most beautiful on misty rainy days.
Q:Is there a weight limit for the canoes?
Over the years we have seen all shapes and sizes! We do not have a set weight limit, but please keep in mind that guests will need to be able to get in and out of the canoe on their own accord as well as be comfortable seated in a canoe for a total of 2 hours.
Q:What if our ship is delayed or doesn't make it into port? Refund?
It's very rare that a ship is delayed into port, but in those cases, we will try our best to work with you to reschedule the tour to a later time. If that is not a possibility or your ship doesn't make it into port, we will of course refund the full cost of the tour.
You are here: